THE LOCKSMITH MUDGEERABALOCKED OUT? Call Now - 0422 350 607
Lock Change vs Rekeying: Which One is Best?
When it comes to home security, your door locks are the last line of defence between a thief and your belongings. That’s why it’s so important to make sure that all of the locks in your home are working properly and can only be accessed by those you trust.
If you just went through a life change or your locks aren’t working properly, a locksmith in Mudgeeraba can help by either replacing or re-keying your locks. But which one is the best choice? Let’s take a closer look at lock changes and rekeying to help you decide.
Lock Change vs. Rekeying: What is the Difference?
Lock changing and re-keying accomplish the same goal, but they go about it in two different ways. No matter which option you choose, you’ll need a new set of keys to unlock your doors.
When locksmiths re-key locks, they change the inner workings of the existing locks. If you wanted to re-key your front door, a locksmith would simply change the inner springs and pins of the lock cylinder in your current lock. Rearranging these locks and pins means that new keys can be fitted and old keys would no longer work to open or lock the door.
When a locksmith changes a lock, the existing lock is physically removed from the door and a new one is installed.
Typically, re-keying a lock is more cost effective than replacing a lock, but it’s not always the most practical option.
When Should You Change Your Locks?
In some cases, it’s more appropriate to replace a lock than to re-key it. You may want to change your locks if:
- Your existing lock is damaged after a break-in or dispute.
- Your existing lock is broken, old or rusted.
- You want to try a new style of lock, such as keyless entry.
If you’re not sure whether a lock change is the right choice for you, a Mudgeeraba locksmith can help you determine which option is the best choice for you.
When Should You Re-Key Your Locks?
In many cases, a simple rekeying is all you need to secure your home. Rekeying is ideal if:
- You have recently divorced or separated and want to prevent entry to your home.
- You lost your keys and worry that a stranger may now have access to your home.
- You just moved into a new home and don’t know who else has a key.
- You have many different locks in your home, but you want them all to match the same key.
If you’re still not sure whether you should re-key or replace your locks, talk to a professional locksmith like The Locksmith Gold Coast. We can help you determine which option is best for your home’s locks.
- Mobile Emergency Locksmith Service Mudgeeraba
- Locks Supplied and Fitted
- Locks Rekeyed / Keys Changed
- Lock Repairs
- Lock Servicing
- Lock Adjustment
- Locks opened and when keys are missing
- Keys made to locks when all keys missing